Dickins & Jones was a London department store on Regents Street with origins as far back as 1806, but officially recognised as having operated on the Regents Street site between 1835 and 2006. Originally known as Dickins, Smith & Stevens, it became Dickins & Jones in 1856 after Sir John Pritchard Jones became a partner in the firm. It was taken over by Harrods in 1914, then by House of Fraser in 1959. Due to high rents in London and the general demise of the department store in the United Kingdom, Dickins & Jones closed in 2006 (although other branches still exist in Epsom and Richmond). The flagship Regents Street building is being renovated and split into smaller units.
Written by vintage-a-peel.co.uk