Porteous, Mitchell, and Braun Co. was a venerable department store in downtown Portland, Maine. The original store on Congress Street was opened for business in 1904. There were eventually six stores. The company went out of business about 1992 after a buyout attempt by Dunlap Stores fell through. In 1993 the Maine College of Art bought the Beaux Arts building in downtown Portland, which greatly increased the size of their campus. In 1996 the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Written by coutureallurevintage.com