Kistler-Collister opened as J.H. Collister in 1909, at the corner of Central Avenue and Second Street. By the 1950s they carried fabric, linens, bridal wear, and clothing for children and adults. Later they specialized in daytime and formal fashions, lingerie, and hats. The company began saving examples from the sales floor, preserving them in the store’s fur vault. They were often used for anniversary displays and special store functions, and even family proms and weddings. In 1995, the year Kistler-Collister closed its doors, owner Ken O’Dell donated the collection to the Albuquerque Museum.
From the City of Albuquerque website: https://www.cabq.gov/artsculture/albuquerque-museum/museum-collections/history/online-history-exhibitions/fashion-in-1950s-albuquerque