Benjamin Altman started a dry goods store in 1864 on Third Avenue in New York City. B. Altman & Co. was located on Fifth Avenue in 1906.
Even after their expansion into fashion, the first floor of B. Altman was dedicated to fabrics. A customer could choose from the store’s selection of fine imported fabrics and have a dress custom made by the store. They also had an entire floor of fabrics which they sold wholesale.
As with other New York department stores of quality, its clientele could choose from either ready-to-wear or custom made clothing. They went out of business in 1989.
Written by artisannes