The Vintage Fashion Guild (VFG) is an international organization dedicated to the promotion and preservation of vintage fashion. Founded in 2002 by a group of vintage sellers, it soon grew into a vintage-fashion knowledge base exceeding any other web-based resource. Our objective then became focused on collecting, organizing, and presenting that information. Those efforts resulted in the first incarnation of the VFG website.
The VFG membership has been steadily growing since the early days, and a membership committee was formed. Qualified sellers and other vintage-fashion-related professionals are invited to apply via our online application form. See Apply for Membership page for details. You can learn more about us and discover the benefits of membership here: Why Join?
We offer the more informal option for non-members to discuss vintage in our public forums Registration is free. The VFG subscribes to the position that informed selling and buying communities are good for the vintage-fashion industry as a whole. All visitors to the website have access to the VFG resources, which are continually updated and constantly evolving, thanks to a dedicated volunteer staff.
Label Resource: This very popular resource is indispensable to the vintage seller and buyer alike
Fur Resource: A descriptive and visual aid to help identify fur, exotic skins, and plumage
Lingerie Guide: Terms and examples of vintage lingerie
Fashion Timeline: An historical look at fashion trends from the 1800s through the 1960s
Fabric Resource: Fabrics and fabric terms in an A-Z glossary, how to determine fiber and ways to search for a ‘mystery’ fabric
The Vintage Fashion Guild’s mission is to promote and protect the interests of vintage fashion enthusiasts while serving the needs of the members of the Vintage Fashion Guild. To that end its objectives are to:
1. Protect the interests of vintage fashion vendors and encourage professional practices.
2. Promote, establish, and encourage among our members ethical behavior and professional standards of expertise about vintage fashion, in order to reinforce the buyers’ and collectors’ confidence that the age, style, details and condition of the items are accurately represented.
3. Raise awareness of vintage fashion and provide a forum to bring together buyers and sellers.
4. Establish a central educational resource available to both buyers and sellers.
5. Create a positive environment for and enhance the image of vintage clothing.
6. Encourage the conservation and wearing of vintage fashion to preserve the history, availability and survival of vintage clothing in future years. The VFG discourages the habitual practice of modifying or altering existing vintage to suit the current trend.
7. Position vintage clothing as a viable, attractive and environmentally-friendly alternative to conventional fashion.
We provide the VFG resources at no cost to the vintage community, and we are pleased when people find them useful. However, all materials contained in this website (including text, images and the design of the site) are VFG’s copyrighted property. We authorize you to copy small portions of text (fewer than 75 words) for use on another site (such as eBay), provided that if you do so, you credit VFG in the following way: “Information courtesy of The Vintage Fashion Guild”, or “Information courtesy of Contributor’s Name/the Vintage Fashion Guild.” To reproduce any images or to reproduce more substantial excerpts of text, you must first obtain our prior written consent.
Vintage Fashion Guild, VFG and The Vintage Fashion Guild Label Resource are our trademarks and may not be used in connection with any product or service not provided by us in any manner that is likely to cause consumer confusion or in any manner that disparages or discredits VFG. All other trademarks displayed on our website are the trademarks of their respective owners and constitute neither an endorsement nor a recommendation of those trademark owners. In addition, such use of trademarks is not intended to imply, directly or indirectly, that those trademark owners endorse or have any affiliation with VFG.*Disclaimer: All text and images on this site are ©Vintage Fashion Guild *Disclaimer: The information contained in this website may include opinions or views which, unless expressly stated otherwise, are not those of The Vintage Fashion Guild. *Liability: Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure that the information provided on this website is correct at the time of writing it is not possible to provide any guarantee of accuracy. The Vintage Fashion Guild does not accept responsibility or liability to any person for loss or damage suffered as a consequence of their placing reliance upon the information. You should make appropriate queries and satisfy yourself before placing any reliance upon or taking any action on such information. By so placing reliance or taking action you accept that you do so at your own risk.