Saks & Company was the forerunner of Saks Fifth Avenue. Its beginnings go back to 1867, but the actual name Saks & Co was first used in 1902, when the company incorporated. In 1923, owner Horace Saks of Saks & Company joined with Bernard Gimbel of Gimbels to form Saks 5th Avenue. The two stores had been competitors on Herald Square.
After the formation of Saks Fifth Avenue, the two older stores, Saks & Co and Gimbels, were joined by an above street walkway, and remained open as Saks 34th. This store sold merchandise of a lower quality than Saks Fifth Avenue. Sometimes Saks 34th items are labeled Saks & Co. The store was closed in 1965.
Written by fuzzylizzie