Mary Muffet Inc was a St. Louis company, recorded in the city’s directories from 1938 to ca. 1953. Initially based in the garment district at 1111 Washington Avenue, the company later moved to a gothic-revival block at 1627 Locust Ave., a building which still bears their name. Morris Sobelman is recorded as the first president and Sam G. Klein his secretary-treasurer; Klein’s son later joined him in the business.
Mary Muffet’s affordable, but smart, ready-to-wear clothes carried a distinctive label featuring a bonneted girl with open mouth and upthrown hands, an allusion to their fairytale namesake.
Some early Mary Muffet labels state ‘Reg’d F.O.G.A.’, marking the registration of their original designs with the ‘Fashion Originators’ Guild of America’ until its demise in 1941. Concurrently with their regular, early label, Mary Muffet also produced ‘Junior Originals’ and ‘Limited Edition’ lines. St. Louis manufacturers had taken a lead in producing junior’s sizes in the mid-1930s, and MM’s ‘Junior Originals’ were separately promoted in advertising materials.
Mary Muffet’s success followed a general boom in the St. Louis garment industry in the late 1930s and early 1940s. However, neither local records of the company nor dated garments carrying their label appear to survive after c. 1952-1954.
Thanks to Nancy Hamilton for helping with this entry.
Written by vintage-voyager.com