Burberrys was founded in 1856 by Thomas Burberry. His early business was mainly as a seller of outdoor clothing. In 1891, Burberry opened his first London Store. The Burberry Equestrian Knight Logo was first used in 1901 after Burberry was commissioned to design a new uniform for British army officers. During WWI, Burberry developed the trench coat for use by the military.
The Burberry Nova Check lining was added in 1920. 1967 saw this trademark plaid being used in accessories such as umbrellas and scarves. Today, Burberry produces complete design collections of clothing and accessories, with Christopher Bailey as design director. In the late 1990s (probably 1998) the company changed the name to Burberry.
Written by The Vintage Fashion Guild