Best & Company was founded by Albert Best in 1879. The main store was in Manhattan with branches in cities throughout the east. Their children’s shop, the Lilliputian Bazaar, was the place to buy children’s clothes.
As early as the 1920s, Best & Co. was offering clothing designed with the needs of real women in mind. Taking fashion inspiration from famous women of the day like Amelia Earhart, they would produce like garments for their customers. In 1938 they made a dress called the Nada Frock, but its designer, Claire McCardell called it the Monastic dress. It was her first huge success, and Best sold many of them.
Best & Co. is also known for giving both Vera Maxwell and Carolyn Schnurer their starts in the business. The company closed in 1971, but in 1997, the label was revived by Susan Hilfiger. There was a store in Greenwich, Connecticut, and a boutique with Bergdorf Goodman in New York, selling only children’s clothing. In June, 2009, the Best & Co. store closed as the company filed for Chapter 7 liquidation.
Written by worthapeek and listitcafe
Question or Comment? Enter it below.