The Charles F. Berg Company began as an umbrella and glove shop in Portland, Oregon in 1921, when Berg purchased the shop known as Lennon’s which he had been running. Berg’s son Forrest joined the company in 1922 to run the new ready-to-wear department. The store experienced phenomenal growth under his guidance. In 1930, Berg leased a three story building on SW Broadway and updated the facade with Art Deco detailing, which still exists today. The Charles F. Berg store closed in 1983, but the building still goes by that name and is on the National Register of Historic Places as one of the few remaining examples of the art-deco style in a Portland commercial building.
Written by coutureallurevintage.com