Adelaar Blouse Company was founded by brothers Emil, Maurice, and Bernard Adelaar in 1934 in Chicago but transplanted to New York in 1945 where it was easier to find jobbers (subcontractor manufacturers). Formally known as Adelaar Brothers Inc., they produced primarily women’s tailored blouses, but also created separates and occasionally dresses and lightweight suits. The blouses were designed by Maurice but tailored by different jobbers using the patterns, materials and notions supplied by Adelaar. The company was at its height of production from the late 1940s to late 1960s when women’s tailored blouses were popular. Foreign competition, rising U.S. labour costs, and changing tastes in fashion in the 1970s lead to the company’s slow demise. The company closed in 1986.
Written by Fashion History Museum, Cambridge, Ontario