Henry a la Pensee was a French fashion house. The house operated several high end boutiques that were set up like department stores. The stores sold accessories, clothing (sportswear, elegant knitwear, silk blouses etc.), objects, and gifts from 1800 – 1960s. The house based in Paris, France opened many shops throughout France. In 1938 the house opened a shop in New York City and for that purpose Henry a la Pensee, Inc., a New York corporation was formed.
From United States Court of Customs and Patent Appeals documents dated April 10, 1957, Patent Appeal No. 6226. :
“Beginning in 1940, as a result of the war in Europe and after the sinking of the steamship Champlain, the New York company was unable to obtain goods from France, and accordingly began to market goods of its own using labels bearing the words “Henry a la Pensee, Inc.,” with “Inc.” in relatively small letters, and this it continued to do. Prior to that time, it would appear that the labels on the goods sold by the New York company, being imported from the French company, read “Henry a la Pensee, Paris” and that after 1940 they read “Henry a la Pensee, Inc.” when used on merchandise otherwise obtained.”
Written by Sweet Melissa’s Vintage
Question or Comment? Enter it below.