John Harberger, also known as John P. John (1906-1993), or Mr. John was one of the foremost milliners of the 20th century. He began by working for his mother, Mme. Laurel, in 1926. In 1929 he formed a partnership with milliner Frederic Hirst and the resulting company was called John-Frederics. The team also designed hats for the movies, with probably the most famous designs being those made for Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind.
The partnership was dissolved in 1948 with Frederic Hirst retaining the John-Frederics label, and John P. John starting Mr. John. Mr. John closed in the 1970s, but he continued to make hats privately into the 1980s.
His hats were known more for their flattering form, rather than for elaborate decoration.
Written by Lizzie Bramlett, fuzzylizzie.com