Himelhoch’s clothing store was established by Wolf Himelhoch in Detroit in 1907. In the 1940s and 1950s every businesswoman in downtown Detroit who was anyone shopped at Himelhoch’s. The store catered to the well turned out professional woman who balanced proper dress with the fashion forwardness that she desired.
Most of the items spotted today carry their eponymous in-house label. In the late 1960s property damage and urban flight, resulting from the riots, caused Detroit businesses to suffer. Himelhoch’s held on until 1978, when they declared bankruptcy and closed.
Written by vintagegent.com