Jean-Marie Armand was born about 1930. He worked as an assistant designer for Nina Ricci in the 1950s. In 1960, he was hired as the designer for Madelaine de Rauch. His first solo collection for de Rauch was in January 1961, but it was a huge flop. In July 1965, Armand opened his own small couture house in Paris. His designs were very architectural and modern, similar to those of Cardin and Courreges. He was known for his quadrangular skirt designs that were made with 4 panels and for never using buttons, as he felt they ruined the line of a garment. Armand’s couture house was open until at least 1971, but he disappears from press mention after that.
Written by Couture Allure